I love my dog like you do, too. So, I decided to write a post about how I make healthy food for him.
Dogs are omnivores. They will eat fruits and vegetables mixed in their meat. If you love your dog as much as I do, you will want to do all you can to keep him healthy and happy.
If he is not sick, he will be happy and if he isn’t overweight he likely will stay healthy. Just like me, the way I have found to keep his weight down and health up is through a low fat diet.
‘I stopped feeding him chicken because I felt it was unhealthy. Did you know that eating chicken is associated with bladder infections in humans? I felt there could be a connection between him eating chicken and his incontinence’ ~ your author
In the wild this means they eat what’s available. But, I don’t believe grains like corn, wheat or soy are a dog’s food.
I have studied dog food ingredients and I don’t think most manufacturers know which ingredients are good or bad for dogs. They don’t even know that rice is a grain! Many dog food manufacturers add rice in their so-called ‘no grain’ dog and cat food.
But, you can look at the ingredients in fresh dog food sold at your local pet store and you will find it’s pretty close to how I cook it. If you are into saving money on making your pet fresh food, make it yourself, otherwise buy it pre-made at your pet store.
‘As well as our human doctors, Veterinarians haven’t been trained in nutrition for their patients’ ~ your author
Here’s what I feed my Dog ‘Bubba’…
- I cook 2-3 pound packages of 85% fat-free ground turkey
- 2-1 lb. packages of frozen kale
- Add 6-bags of Sunrise Slaw (shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage)
- 15 lbs. mix of sweet potatoes and yams
Easy Preparation Directions for Dog Food
- Cook one 3 lb. container of ground turkey in a pan at a time
- Bake your sweet potatoes and yams for about 2-2 1/2 hours @ 450 degrees. Be sure to poke holes in them. Test with knife for softness (when they are done, slice each down the middle to cool. Then, when they cool down to the touch, you can peel the skins off easy)
- Add 1/2 of all the other ingredients. 1 bag of frozen kale and 3 bags of slaw in a large pot
- I scoop it out with 1/2 cup plastic measuring cup in sandwich bags
- I add 1/3 to 1/2 sweet potato to each bag, depending upon how large it is
- I fill each bag full by eye
- Two scoops of vegetables first, one scoop of turkey meat and then equal amounts of yam and sweet potato (1-2 scoops)
- You need to judge how much your dog should eat
- My dog weighs 50 pounds
- So, I feed him three bags a day which adds up to about six cups for him
- Only at lunch I mash-up a banana and 1/2 cup of cantaloupe in his dish with his bag of food
- Freeze the bags and leave enough out for the day and tomorrow
- I feed him at 6 AM, 12 noon and 3 PM
- It saved his life
- He is an old dog (18 years) and he really looks younger now
- I never had found a dog food manufactured that was healthy for my dog
- Dogs and cats don’t need as much protein as they say they do. And, it’s not 30%. Especially, for older pets. More like below 10%. Similar to human protein needs
- You can give your dog in between meal treats such as a banana and cantaloupe, even apple slices
Benefits of preparing your own dog food
- You know what’s in it when you make it yourself
- It takes me under an hour to prepare, scoop it in the bags each week and clean up
- Your pet will thank you by being happier, losing unwanted weight and living longer
The Results speak for itself
My pet’s health has markedly improved and he’s trimmed down. Although, chicken was the first ingredient in my dog’s old brand dry kibble; brown rice, barley and oats were the second, third and fourth ingredient.
‘Don’t believe everything you hear about how to feed your dog from manufacturers. They are in the business of selling animal food. Think for yourself, do your own research, and verify everything by how your pet looks, seems to feel and behaves so you know if what you are doing is beneficial or harmful’ ~ your author
Go to homemade cat food, here.
Note- Sorry, but I can’t guarantee health, weight loss or longevity results from changing your dog’s diet. If you have doubts, contact your vet