I like bean and lentil soup I make myself. It’s really very easy. You push the buttons on the pressure cooker and forget it. An hour later it’s done.
Soup is a very good thing to have around when you get hungry between meals. It’s very filling and nutritious. You just have to keep an eye on the sodium level if you are like me. When you get older, you have to watch what you eat.
‘The majority of legumes contain phytochemicals: bioactive compounds, including enzyme inhibitors, phytohemagglutinins (lectins), phytoestrogens, oligosaccharides, saponins, and phenolic compounds, which play metabolic roles in humans who frequently consume these foods. Dietary intake of phytochemicals may provide health benefits, protecting against numerous diseases or disorders, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and inflammation ’.
Easy Legume (Beans Or Lentil) Soup Recipe…
- Add 1/2 cup dried of lentils or beans
- 1-32 oz. box of liquid low sodium chicken, vegetable bullion or water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup of celery diced
- 1/2 cup of power greens
- Peel and dice 1-2 medium to large potato
- You can add millet with the potato or without it
- If you want to add a carrot, zucchini or any other vegetable, go for it!
- Add 1/4 teaspoon (or so) garlic powder
- Dash of parsley
- Turn or two of course black pepper
- Add can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- Small can of tomato sauce
- Add a little more water because of lentils or beans
- If you like a ‘thicker’ soup, you can use a potato masher
- Time is about an hour
Besides my food processor and blender, the pressure cooker has been a worthwhile investment in kitchen appliances. I use it all the time, at least once a week. You can make enough soup in an hour to last the entire week.
‘Dietary protein: an essential nutrient for bone health ’.
I wrote in another post that I wasn’t getting enough protein. When you eat 80-90% plant based whole food you have to be careful not to skip the beans and lentils. I lost my strength and stamina for a while until I remembered to eat my legumes. Shortly after, I was my old self again. I’m 69. Eat your legumes.
Source- 1 M;, B. (n.d.). Nutritional quality of legumes, and their role in cardiometabolic risk prevention: A review. Retrieved December 19, 2020, from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23398387/.
2 Bonjour, J., 2020. Dietary Protein: An Essential Nutrient For Bone Health.
Note- consult your doctor before you change your diet.